Who We Are
Kenya Counselling and Psychological Association (KCPA) is the professional Association for Counsellors and Psychologists in Kenya with a membership of above 6000 spread across the nation.
KCPA was formed in 1988 and registered officially in 1990 as the Kenya Counselling Association (KCA)
Counselling and Psychology is a confidential professional working relationship in which a counsellor or a psychologist gets into a mutual formal agreement to support a client to resolve, manage or cope with issues of life.
The Association has a staff which oversees the daily running of the office activities from 8.00 am to 5 pm Mondays to Fridays except on national public holidays.
- To ensure professionalism in Psychological Counseling through upholding standards in training, research, practice and advocacy
- To be a world class umbrella body for Counsellors and Psychologists in Kenya
Our core values
Main Objectives of KCPA
1. To regulate the training, practice and supervision of counselling and psychology in Kenya
2. To create awareness of professional counselling and psychological services
3. To establish and regulate an accreditation system for counselling and psychology practitioners
4. To provide linkages with other national and international professional associations
5. To promote research in psychology to enhance professional development KCPA membership is open to individuals, national and international organizations
- Respect for clients
- Commitment to clients’ wellness
- Avoidance of all forms of exploitation or abuse
- Honoring the trust placed on the practitioner
Roles of KCPA
- To regulate and oversee ethical counseling practice in Kenya by setting standards in training, supervision and service delivery among its members.
- To create awareness of professional counseling and psychological services such as :
- Stress management
- Workplace balance
- Individual and couple counseling
- Marital and family therapy
- Addiction counseling
- Child and adolescent counseling
- To provide linkages, collaborations, partnerships and referrals with national and international professional bodies.
- To promote research in psychology to enhance professional development.